ARRA $24,000 EHR Stimulus Facts
The short version
American Recovery & Reinvestment (ARRA) HITECH Act is intended to ensure that patient data can be securely exchanged between health information professional and networks. It mandates the adoption of EHR systems, encouraging early adoption with incentives and punishing late adoption with penalties. Nearly 20 billion dollars have been allocated as incentives to doctors’ demonstrating “meaningful use” of certified technology solutions.
Answers to Chiropractors Top Questions about the $24,000 ARRA Stimulus
Reporting is the “reporting period,” during which you maintain compliance with the Meaningful Use objectives. Attesting is the process of submitting compliant results from the reporting period to Medicare.
The Meaningful Use Objectives are the data points to which the certified EHR software is tested and which a provider uses to show use of the EHR software.
You participate in Stage 2.
You participate in Stage 1. All participants complete two years of Stage 1 before Stage 2.
All participants report for a 90-day period in 2014 regardless of their year of participating.
Yes. You may participate if you submit claims to Medicare for Part B physician fee schedule services on behalf of Medicare patients.
There is no minimum requirement.
Yes, as long as each doctor demonstrates “meaningful use” of a “certified” solution.
YES! If chiropractors have not implemented and used a certified solution by 2015 their Medicare payments will be reduced by 1% in 2015; 2% in 2016; and 3% in 2017. Penalties could reach 4% or even 5% if fewer than 75 percent of eligible professionals have not adopted EHR solutions by 2018.
First-time participants complete any 90 days in 2014. Participants must begin their 90-day reporting period no later than July 1 and attest to meaningful use no later than October 1, 2014 to avoid a 1% payment adjustment of Medicare in 2015.
- The RAPID EHR software certified by a government accredited testing agency.
- A unique industry Guarantee that you will receive stimulus dollars.
- The RAPID certified EHR software Unique Identifier Number for the CMS registration and attestation for incentive payments.
- All reports required to successfully attest for the incentive payments are included in the certified RAPID EHR software.
- You earn an incentive payment from the Centers of Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) calculated as 75% of your annual Medicare collections in 2014, up to a maximum payment of $12,000.
- You must show “Meaningful Use” of a certified EHR for a minimum of 90 days in 2014.
- You complete a CMS online form attesting the use of the EHR.